You have the flexibility to adjust your hourly rate in the services section of your Hux account. We recommend changing your rate infrequently, and only after surpassing certain milestones (i.e. completing 25 cleanings, securing five recurring customers, etc.). Having a high rate without enough reviews to validate the higher price tag may lower your number of bookings.
Once your rate is updated it will only affect new clients. Existing one time appointments will keep the same price and your existing recurring clients will remain locked into your old rate.
Note that you'll earn 70% of your rate. The remaining 30% is used to help cover promoting your business, getting you customers, customer service, insurance, and more.